Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Why am I doing this?

Hello. I am Scarlet, I am married, I have two small children and I committed a terrible crime against my husband. Let me first say that he is aware and in his infinite goodness he has forgiven me. Truly and wholly. The problem is, I have not forgiven me. I don't know how to.


I think perhaps being forced to write what happened, have to look it in the eye will help me find a way to come to terms. Because I have to move past this. My husband is free from it, but as long as it keeps a strangle hold on me, we will never be fully free of the mark.

I carry the mark inside my head and on my heart and in my soul. The mark makes me want to rake my face with sharpened nails, draw blood, pull a steel blade across my arm, poke out my eyes. The thoughts come, wash over me and all I can do is pray.


I need to figure this out. I need to put this in the past and move forward. I need to stop being afraid.

I will explore here what happened, what is happening and what may happen. If ever anyone reads this, I welcome your comments. Your scorn is not welcome, I have enough of it in my own head. But if you are a wounded soul, if you have wounded others, feel free to come here and process with me. If you somehow figure out who I am in real life, I ask you to please keep it to yourself.

This scarlet letter is a destroyer in many ways, but for me it was a creator. Not it in itself, but it opened a door on an ugliness that needed confronting. I was made naked before God and my husband and in the moment I was my most naked, I whispered the words that mattered most.

From my lips to God's ears, my prayer was answered in that moment and my life was saved. My present and future was saved. But my past haunts me and I must find the way to make peace. To vanquish it, because I cannot settle with co-existence. I cannot live with the horror of my dark deed.


Therefore I must peer into my darkness and see what I find there. Only then will I find my freedom.

I also hope that perhaps someone who has found themselves in this situation, or finds themselves moving in the direction, might take some comfort from me. If I could help one person... I haven't fully decided if I should go comment as Scarlet or not. To bring readers in. But a big part of me says that I have something to offer to readers-something that might help them. Since this all happened I feel compelled to tell people, women especially, that there IS hope. There is a way! Life can be full of joy!

So that is me, take me as I am.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and want to tell you I admire your courage. Your words could have been mine almost exactly as I too had an affair 4 years ago now. Our marriage survived and is better now but it was a long road to healing. Forgiving myself has also been hard. I too feel the need to help others and have been praying about sharing my story with others. I just wanted to encourage you for taking the steps to write this. I KNOW how hard it is to face our own actions.
God bless

Scarlett Hester said...

Thank you so much for your nice comment. I hope you keep reading and let me know if anything helpful arises or if you have any tips for me.

:) I hope all is well!

Letter -A said...

I know this post is very dated...but I just saw it today. I don't have insight for you, however, I'm assuming you have already found your peace and forgiveness by now. I on the other hand am right where you were when you wrote this very first blog. I found you in my google search of "forgiving yourself after committing adultery" I have not yet come across anything in my search that I have related to. Today I decided to fast..to fast and to seek instruction and direction. I've been so lost since the horrific crime was committed. It's been almost 4 months. Seems like a short time when I look at it written down but in my mind and in my heart it feels like a life sentence. I'm praying your blogs will help me find peace and forgiveness in myself.

My husband has fully forgiven me, doesn't change the fact that he too is suffering. And as long as I continue to feel guilt and to treat him less than how he should be treated I can only assume things will progressively worsen.

Thank you for your courage in writing this blog. I pray as it reached me it'll reach others.

Letter -A

Scarlett Hester said...

I'm glad you found it. I think there is a lot of wisdom in there. Here I am 5 years after the Big Bad and we're doing great. We had a really bad year last year, but we trudged through it together. That's how marriages are. I still have moments, but they are rare. Keep healing and help your husband to heal.