Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Intention of Writing

My purpose for blogging, for writing this stuff down, is not to make excuses or ever get sympathy. It is just to process, dissect and try to understand what happened. And secondly, to perhaps be a help and comfort to those who have gone through a similar experience.

I want to give hope.

Husband, he feels strongly that we can help people over come their experiences. He feels very compelled to share our experience and help couples heal and reconnect. Perhaps to prevent what happened to us.

One of the most reliable statistics on adultery comes from the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago. In 1992 the center sent hundreds of interviewers to gather data on the sexual conduct of Americans in the National Health and Social Life Survey. In a face-to-face survey of 3,432 adults born from 1933 to 1974, researchers asked: ''Have you ever had sex with someone other than your husband or wife while you were married?''

A quarter of the married men in the United States and a sixth of the married women reported having at least one extramarital affair.

My therapist said that adultery is also very common in faith communities as well. Yet nearly everyone says that adultery is wrong, or almost always wrong. That is a lot of conflicted people, sinning and hating themselves.

I'd like to perhaps help people avoid my mistake. And that is why I blog, that is why I write and that is what I hope.



No comments: