Monday, August 11, 2008

Living In the Now: Version 4.0

My wonderful wife got me hooked on Carmel dove chocolate squares. Wow, are they yummy. As I was eating one today, I looked at the cute PMA (positive mental attitude) quotes that they used. The first was, 'Write a real letter, not just an email. Ya, I get that. Then 'promises are made to be kept'. Ya, I like that one too. The next was 'Dream big, there is no excuse not to'.

Hold it.

Actually there is an excuse not to. See dreaming and dreaming big is really just another distraction to our heart. For if you dream and only really dream, then that is where your heart is. If you fill your mind and your thoughts with a constant noise about the future and your dreams, then your heart will go there too. And if your heart is filled with noise of the future, then you will never be happy right now. You can never live in the present if your heart is set on the past or future.

I'm not saying to never plan for the future. Go ahead and sock some money away in a 401k or buy a solid mutual fund to grow your money for retirement. But I know all too well the path that is filled with dreams.

I used to play a game called 'Brewster's Millions' It was a fun game where I would find out the big jackpot in the lottery and then I would have to give away all but a small part for me and my family to live on.

It was kinda fun. This week the jackpot is $25 million and I would say "I'll give 1/2 a million to all 30 family members, then 5 million to us and the rest to start a new non-profit aimed at helping local teens through our great church"

The problem was that I started out with good intentions and would purchase a ticket once in a while just for kicks. I would bring it home and then talk to my wife and ask her to join in as well. But over the course of time, and without me realizing it, it became a huge distraction. And before I knew it, I was living this life in my head and that was all I was living.

The present was the way I got by, the thing that was in the way, the cloud that blew which ever way the wind went. See, over time my heart was distracted by this big huge dream about the future and couldn't be happy about now. Your heart is easily distracted. First by wounds, then by our thoughts and feelings.

See, now that the affair is over, I can look back and see the way I was always living in the future. I was always focused on something; first getting my degree, then my first job, then a promotion, then a better job and better city to live in. There was always a corner to look around and when I couldn't find one I would create one.

"Maybe I'll go back to school and get a master's degree, maybe I'm in the wrong field and I just need a new vocation. Maybe we just need a bigger house or car." That was the way I distracted myself, and all the while I found no happiness in the present.

Of course I couldn't be happy, because I was looking for it in the future and that's not where happiness is. Happiness lies right here, right now. It lies in the beauty around you. It lies in living life in the present and not carrying the baggage of the past or the future with you.

So, yes chocolate dove, I do have a good excuse for not dreaming, its called living life to the full. And I wouldn't trade it for anything that would happen to me tomorrow.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared
to what lies within us." -

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.


Take that, Dove.

No comments: